Monday 18 April 2011

How to make great TVCs - with Manoj Shetty on Facebook



April 15, 2011
Manoj Shetty was live on Facebook 2 Facebook initiative by Cag  (Senior Creative Director at Ogilvy in Mumbai.)




_____________________________________________________________________
How did you come up with two such diverse ideas: shubharambh and bournville for the same brand?
@Rucha: It's not the same Brand na Rucha. Bournville is this premium, 'British' type brand while CDM is 'apna' DairyMilk. But having said that, every brand has its personality. If you investigate the brand hard, you'll know its voice. Rest is very easy.




_________________________________________________________________
What all comes in investigating the brand?
@Akrutee: I like to know as much as I can about the brand. So for a few months, I just listen about it from different people. Mostly the clients. That way it becomes familiar. Somewhere along the way I get a hang of how this brand is likely to behave and conduct itself in public. Meanwhile, subconsciously, the script is being thought of :)
_________________________________________________________________
Hi manoj... I would like to begin with the beginning on your Cadbury campaign. How easy or difficult was it to sell such an idea to the client? What were the reception levels in the beginning? And how did it actually happen?
@ Amit. That's interesting. I was telling my client that our stories have to be a lot simpler and shorter. That we should give more time to the actions but keep the story simple. As an example I showed them this Coke ad...While watching this ad, I suddenly got the 'Bus Stop' Idea. Rest is, hehehe...




_________________________________________________________________
How does core idea n execution individually weigh?
@Aakruti: In storytelling, everything is important. And we should stop looking at things as two things. It's a million little things and they're all important. But most important is 'Is it beautiful' Beauty is the most disarming. By beauty I don't mean just visually, but also what it does to the heart.
_________________________________________________________________
How does one tackle the economics although an idea is classic? I am asking from the agency point of view. Most of the time the director is a verdict and the budget fails to match the expectations of the client. Finally a compromise stage of film…
@Arun: Simple soch. Humari-tumhari kahani soch. You don't need George Lucas to make these films :) In fact Arun, beacuse of the media today, people have seen all sorts of production gimmicks. So there is no point going there. We won't succeed. It's better if we charm the audience with our stories
_________________________________________________________________
Hi...sir. I think by coming up with Shubh aarambh camp, you have completely positioned the product in totally new perspective, I mean it was the product of joy and you transformed it into a new one. So my question is, didn’t you face any opposition from your client when you came up with this master piece?
@Akshay: When you try something new, there is always opposition. From within, from without, client, agency, even yourself when you're weak and unsure. But one has to go though all that, if there is something new to be brought. I would say, I was just trying to get a new 'Sur' to Cadbury and our advertising. But yeah, it was a fight.
_________________________________________________________________
Sir coming to Silk ads... I guess target audience for Silk ads are everybody... then I would really like to know what is the tone of the ad...is it childish or seductive? Because the visuals are childish but the audio is sort of seductive if m not wrong...(if u listen to it without visuals.)
@Akshay: Silk came from a botytle of Bourbon in Stockholm. I wasn't really thinking too much. My subconscious suggested that I make the most of the chocolate's weakness - it melts - and try and see where it goes. It was some sort of a challenge.


 _________________________________________________________________
Hi sir, do changes in the team handling the brand ultimately affect the brand image?? Because there may be possibilities, that everytime the outcome will be a different style, thus confusing the audience?
@Priyank: That always happens and I hate it. Every new guy who comes, in creative, servicing or marketing wants to leave his own signature. And I just hate that because it's so selfish and not in the interest of the brand.
And sir, now that the television media has emerged so strong… should we, as students, concentrate more on the TVC's? Can u name some campaigns which u admire and respect? (Of O&M or any other agency)
@Priyank: I respect simplicity, wherever it comes from. I don't like ads or creators attracting attention to themselves. I really loved Piyush Pandey's old work - and it's not because he's my boss now. And I love Vodafone. Really. Again, not because it's from office. All Vodafone ads are simple moments that are streched in time. It's important to do such work in a media that's so cluttered. Stretch a moment rather than tell a 2 minute story inn 30 seconds. In FACT, THE CHARM IN THE good ads come fromm stretching the moments. I always aspired to write small stories like Piyush. And stretch small charming moments like Rajiv. Do both and you've got the Indian consumer by the balls! (Excuse my French ;)
_________________________________________________________________
How long did it take for you to come out with ideas regarding shubharambh campaign?
@Shilpa: I like to rot. I like the brief to rot. I like the thinking to rot. It's this process that changes the cashew fruit to feni ;) and the brief to a nice ad. So time? As long as it takes. And my clients appreciate that.
_________________________________________________________________
Sir, how did you sell the script of the BUS STOP ad to the client?
 Many a times the client rejects good ideas..."Majja Nahin Aaraha hai"… what do we do then?
@Sudarshan: The client is a human being. The client also wishes well for the brand. Just like you. It's for both parties to realise that and work together. Dono ke iraade nek honge to ad bhi achchi hi nikalti hai. The creative becomes more responsible and the client gets more corageous.
TRUE, sir one last thing, in an interview to a TV channel you said that the Bournville Idea came to to you while you were sleeping...

I TRIED THAT, BUT JUST GOT A DRESSNDOWN FROM MY BOSS. :P
@Sudarshan: I'm a big believer in the subconscious. I'm also a lazy guy, as you may have seen. So I let the subconscious do all the work while I surf, chat up young girls, read, stuff like that. But really, it works. A diamond can't be created, it has to be found. And I can do it even in my sleep :)
_________________________________________________________________
Hello Sir, firstly, a big fan! Secondly why did u particularly use a "British" jorno in the bournville ads? Taking into consideration its a premium chocolate and all… I kind of get you, but I would like a li'l elaboration on d same...
@Soniya: Oh, I just wanted the ad to look like a foreign ad that they are running in India. It was alright if the people didn't understand. I just wanted them to think 'Yaar, yeh foreign brand hai' 





_________________________________________________________________
Sir, I guess when you come with new concept, it largely depends on the art department, as how final output will look. So does ur concept differ drastically?
@Akshay: It's like soccer... I think of myself as the playmaker. I can't really score goals, that's for the art director or the film director, or sometimes even the client. I just feed the right balls to the right people. Working with the right kind of people, people with the same motivations but different expertese is the most important.
ya but ultimately... you are the one who gave birth to the concept..:)
@Akshay: In our industry, the idea seems to have taken precedence over everything else. That's sad. In God's eyes everything is equal. To that effect, I would like to bring the idea down a few notches. Of course it comes first and it's important. But so is the rest. Always remember. The arrogance of the idea is also sometimes the demise of it.
_________________________________________________________________
What is the starting point to think about while making a TVC? Is the casting very important in the ad?
@Rucha: Every little thing is important. Yes, casting. Yes, music. Yes, acting. Yes, a director who knows how to pitch the acting. Yes, the location. Totally the music… so on and so forth. Everything is important. But most important is working with likeminded and passionate people. So if the actor is great but not passionate, the casting coup has been a waster :(
_________________________________________________________________
How can I make a career into TVC as I’m in final year of graduation and also got cag award for TVC this year?
@Shreyas: You got to like it first. Just do a virtual 'Like' to the art of filmmaking. Also promise yourself that you won't give it up no matter what happens. Even when it stops paying or making sense. Trust me, it'll stop making sense. Be willing to work hard and learn until the day you die. 

Then assist an ad film director :)
_________________________________________________________________
How do you decide which media is more important?
@Rucha: Today, TV is big. It touches the most for the least. IT ALSO HELPS PAINT THE brand in good light. So most of the money goes there. The rest of the mediums are cheap so far. But they touch fewer people. For now, TV is God.
Campaigns like center shock, or asian paints... (I saw on www.cagindia.in/featured_agency.php), are only TVCs...

How can a TVC sustain without any other media? Reminder media is not required?
@Rucha: It is, Rucha. It always is. The consumer needs to be told. Then reminded. Then reminded again. And again until he buys. So, yes. 360% communication.
_________________________________________________________________
While working in advertising as a visualiser or designer or conceptualizer, my question is a li’l different. The main source of all this, is our educational systems. We all are fruits of that.
 As an educator/ professional designer/ advertiser, what you will suggest about the education programme that we are running in our educational institutes in relation to advertising & design. Can you suggest any ideal methodology regarding the same? Am wishing to get your opinion :)
@Kalpesh, in our country, the system is still a little soft, it's still forming and taking shape. It's flawed at the moment but that's because it's still in the process of becoming. But now with the internet and sometimes rich parents, the world is a small place. Between the two, we have no excuse really. Let's go for the kill, become the best, and lead by example. Hasten change, be the system we want to improve. I know it sounds a little idealistic but unfortunately, it is so. :)
_________________________________________________________________

Witness it live | Interact with another legend from the Industry | Participate on our Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment